There is a rather popular misconception regarding the fact that an exemplary completion of a proofreading task requires having a superior brain and extremely thorough attention to every single detail of the text. On the contrary, this process is much more than just simple!
1) Print out the text. Some individuals might consider this rule to be pointless because a digital copy is much cheaper to review and they also believe that it is much more convenient than working with physical sheets of paper. However, there is a significant advantage that makes all of the aforementioned concerns less important. In particular, errors happen to be more distinct and evident on the paper – especially, if you proofread your own essay. Although it might consume more time and resources than regularly, the final result will be more polished and have a better presentation than regularly!
2) Use your ruler. Take your ruler and locate it under the first line of the written text. The ruler covers all the other contexts and makes separate ideas more distinct. This trick will help your brain to understand the premise of a particular sentence and fix all the minor issues in it if any.
3) Point out all the problems. Take your pen or pencil and read every single word of the essay and mark all the issues that you run across. Thus, you will be able to notice all the misprints, grammar mistakes, and other possible problems that look either wrong or awkward. Do not be afraid to take your time and read the same line or phrase twice if it seems to be flawed. Eventually, you will develop an understanding of how to edit it correctly. In addition, read the text out loud and let your ears render all the contradictive points or misplaced lexical units.
4) Read in reverse. As you read your text through, your brain will not recognize some mistakes as it already got used to it. To make the process a bit challenging for this organ and thus have a fresh look at the work, reading in reverse can help. The brain must not understand separate words, but the whole idea of the text, which often makes people reconsider their flows.
5) Correct the text. Now it is time to correct all the identified mistakes in your digital file and then print it out again. As soon as this step is done, it would be advantageous for your friend, family member, or a mate to outline any issues that they happen to spot in it. At the beginning, make sure that they do not edit the essay as you only want them to assess the paper with their independent views. It is essential to realize that both proofreading and editing must be two separate processes because it is impossible to concentrate on multiple things at one time and ensure the highest quality.
If you stand against wasting the paper for such tasks due to various ecological considerations, you can change the font of the essay or its size, open it in another program, or email it to yourself. You can do anything to change the environment where your brain evaluates the piece of writing that it had already seen before. Make sure that you place your mind in an uncomfortable situation as you approach the text once or twice again. Nevertheless, the suggested option with the paper sheets gives the best result.